Friday, September 01, 2006

Running

Well I was finally able to run again yesterday (ran 6 miles). It took me three days to recover from my race. I really don't know if that's good or bad in terms of my running shape. I know I'm getting older because I'm starting to pay attention to my body and how it responds. A couple of years ago I probably would have gone out the next day and ignored the pain.
You could say that runningis one of those things that has had a deep impact on my life. Three years ago I had a 2 pack a day smoking habit and was 30 pounds overwieght. After multiple attempts at quitting I finally decided I needed a goal. I decided I was going to run the NYC marathon and the rest is history.
Along with getting into shape running has helped me with keeping myself grounded. It is a wonderful stress releaver and I find that after a run I am totally relaxed and optomistic. I love to compete and that's one of the reasons I always entering races ( I love the peeps too). Don't get me wrong I don't ever think I'm gonna win any of them. I guess I compete against myself; always trying to beat my personal best. Always trying to be better than the last time. I'm finding that as time goes I think less about beating my time and more about enjoying the run.
Although I'm learning to enjoy the experience more I don't think I'll ever resist the urge to look up at the clock as I cross the line ;o).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Running a marathon take a lot of inner strength too. I have never run a marathon but I have been an avid runner since I wasa in middle school. I do not do my 10 miles anymore due to my crappy health but on my good days I will go out for a short run. It is very addicting. I don't know what I would do if I had to give it up entirely. Again, bravo on your fortitude and desire to run a marathon. :o)

Epi said...

Thank you very much Raven!! That is really nice of you to say. ;o)

Epi