Monday, August 28, 2006

Weekend In Motion

Well...... Like any parent with an active family, spent a really busy weekend. Saturday drove forever for my youngest two day soccer tournament. Sunday drove to NYC to run the NYC half marathon then drove back to gods country for the rest of my daughters tournament then went home. My wife and I figured we drove about 300 miles that day... OOOOOOFFF!!
Anyway I wanted to touch on something that I noticed as the good and bad about athletics and competition. One of the things I love about major running events is the atmosphere. Everyone is there for a common goal, to finish and do their personal best, We are all very supportive of each other and the cheering from the crowd is wonderful and very motivating. Especially at the end of the run when you're in pain and really don't want to do this anymore the support and energy is remarkable.
On the flip side... at my daughters soccer tournament even though we try to encourage good sportsmanship. I've noticed that the opposite is promoted. Parents yelling and arguing, coaches teaching their young players tactics that aren't ethical. You don't really get a good feeling when it's over.. Even when you've won. I even find myself geting pulled into it. There was a player who fouled one of my players and I noticed the other coach giving the offendor a encouraging pat. This if course got my juices pumping. The team did well and the girls learned allot from the tournament and the team will move forward. But I often wonder what we're really teaching them or if it's worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is so true about sports. I think the parents of many are trying to re-live through their children and pass along that immaturity to their children. It has to be frustrating when you are trying to do the right thing in teaching manners and sportsmanship and then the other team is taught the opposite. I see that in all children's sports. The adults most often are the cause of disruption and then it spreads like wildfire to the children. I played hockey and track in high school. I preferred track . Less violent. :o)