Saturday, September 15, 2007

Flying 101





Well, I did it, I went on a flight in a glider! I was scared out of my skin but I actually enjoyed the experience somewhat. A little history.... Ever since I was very young I always wanted to go flying. I wanted to be a pilot!. The first time I went flying in my teenage years I quickly discovered I had an incredible fear of flight. I was crushed. All the plans about what I was going to do with my life and who I was going to be went down the tubes. It took my a long time to rediscover and define myself.



Regardless of my fear I wanted to go up again. Like anything else that got lost in daily life and even though every once in awhile I would think about it, I never really acted on it. Well, my beautiful wife resolved that issue by giving me a glider flight for my birthday. I had a very good pilot and we communicated well. He sensed that I was freezing up in the cockpit and was able to calm me down. I even had control of the plane for awhile and made a couple of turns. When we landed I was so nervous I felt I was going to throw up. But it was a great experience and I'm actually thinking about going back.

Another interesting tidibit... On the way back to the car, after the flight, my wife spotted a big rattle snake in our path. The snake was going away from us and really didn't want to deal with us. My initial reaction was fear but then I just stood there and watched it amazed. I was amazed at how well camouflage it was and how graceful it moved. My wife told the folks at the airport and they were debating killing it Fortunately it got away before they made up their minds. I'm hoping it moves on before they find it again.



Blessings

2 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

What a fantastic birthday! I bet you had the time of your life. Thanks for not killing the rattlesnake. You have responded with Christ consciousness. No need to kill just because. Kudos to you.

Blessings and hugs.

Epi said...

Yes it was the time of my life and you're right, there is no need to kill.


Blessings my friend