Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Family Reunion



My gang finally joined me here in AZ. It was a rough ride for my wife and kids, especially my wife. She left PA when that terrible storm hit that stranded everyone in PA. Fortunately she got out before it hit our area bad. She drove about 4000 miles with 3 kids and a dog. Even though I am proud of my kids and dog for being on their best behavior that type of trip would test anyone's endurance. I'm especially proud of Pam because this was the first time she has done something totally on her own. I've always told her that she is very capable and that all she needed was more confidence in herself and she proved it with this trip. This is the beginning of many wonderful things for her.


Anyway I went off track. The gang has joined me and I am extremely happy to have everyone together again. Allot of people say that their kids are their life or their family is their life. I never really believed them or understood what they meant until recently. My family is me and is a part of me and defines part of who I am. There was a time when I would be afraid to say such a thing. I basically grew up without my parents in an orphanage going from place to place and very early in life I discovered that the only person I could rely on was myself. I made a promise to myself very early in my childhood that I would never let myself become dependent on anybody. I would help anyone else out but I always kept everyone at arms length when it came to my reliance on them. In my youthful ignorance and into adulthood I always perceived reliance as a weakness.


I was wrong. Reliance on someone is not a weakness; It's a sign of love. I truly love my family and rely on them as much as they rely on me and I think it's wonderful. We share ourselves with each other and if one of use falls short, the others are there to help. I'm not saying we're not independent because I think we all are in our own way. But to know that there are people there to be with you no matter what is a powerful thing. It is my hope to build this kind of relationship with as many people as I can.


Blessings to you

2 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

What a beautiful message. It brought tears to my eyes. After your trying childhood you have been truly blessed. I'm glad your family got out of PA in time. That was pretty rough.

Blessings to you and yours!

Epi said...

Thank you Titania. I have been blessed. I too am happy we got out in time.


Blessings