Thursday, January 18, 2007

A Lesson




A little while ago I had written about children and the lessons I continue to learn from them. Especially my gang. My youngest person, Shelly, has been having bad dreams as of late. My wife and I listen to her and give her advice but she's becoming fairly distressed over them. We spoke with her today and I finally got a piece of what is troubling her. She told us she was afraid of dying. I can recall going through a similar experience when I was young. We tried to comfort her and give her ideas about what to try but they aren't working for her and she's getting frustrated. I told her that she has to be patient and let things work them out. She gave me that "yea right" look that I'm sure we have all seen from smart alicky kids. My children have a trait of mine in which they are very stubborn. She's made up her mind that this isn't going to be resolved and she's cursed.

Sitting back and thinking about how to help my daughter made me realize something. How many times have I been in a situation where someone has told me "you just have to be patient" and I've thought to myself "yea right"? Caught up in my situation and emotions definitely affected my thinking. Usually, in time, the person was right, I just needed to be patient. It's funny how sometimes we see the solution so easily when someone else is going through an issue but when we experience an issue we are in a fog as to the direction. I'm hoping that from this lesson my daughter has taught me, That I will be able to be meet my future challenges.

My wife and I will continue to work with our daughter to help her discover and learn from her world. I'm sure in time she will work through this and be better for it.

Blessings

1 comment:

Tawnya Shields said...

Hi Epi, I wrote Shelly an encouraging e-mail over at Care2. I told her I also have had bad nightmares and still do. It is hard to learn patience. I think it comes with age and even then it is still hard. :o)

I gave her some suggestions as to why she may be having bad dreams such as stress, eating befoire bedtime, even the phasees of the moon affect me!

I also was like her when I was little.Obssessed with dying. Even if I got a cut I would running screaming to my mother asking her if I was going to die. This could be from my former past life.( Being shot tragically as a young woman). When does Shelly go for her regression? That may answer a lot of her fears and help her move forward.

Shelly is a very sensitive empath I think from reading your posts. It is good she has loving parents in which she can confide in. I carried my secret for years. It was tough. Tell her I am sending big hugs her way.

(((((((((hugs))))))