Sunday, March 25, 2007

Settling In


It's March 25th and I'm coming up on my 2 month anniversary on moving to Arizona. The family and I are slowly settling in and starting to gain a certain comfort in our new home that I think we all need. That comfort and feeling of home is something I think we all take for granted.

One way I know that I'm starting to feel more comfortable is that I have started running consistently again. I've worked myself up to 5 mile runs and will start increasing after about another week or 2. Adjusting has taken a toll on me. I've been eating terrible and my weight has ballooned to 190 lbs. I'm usually around 175 to 180 and my goal is to get to 165. My wife and my middle child also have made new goals to refocus themselves and get into healthier patterns. In other words, we all need to lose weight.



I spoke with my son the other day and he seemed distracted. He has been working on an art project which he really doesn't like and has been procrastinating on. I've tried not to hound him but made it clear that this was a commitment he had to keep. So far he has been doing well and really impressing me with his work. I never knew the extent of his talent and wonder if he realizes it. Anyway getting back to him being distracted; I asked him what was wrong and he answered me like he always does, " I don't know". I kept up and said that I noticed something is bothering him I asked if it was the art assignment and he said no. He told me he was worried about what he was going to become int the future. I thought to myself, he's only 15, why is he worrying about this?? At the same time I realized I had done the same when I was his age.


I told him not to worry and to take his time. "Enjoy what is around you now. You don't have to make up your mind within a given time. Some people take their whole lives before they know what they want. I'm 41 years old and I'm still discovering what I want. That doesn't mean you can't try things out. but please try not to worry" He looked at me and gave me a half smile as if he wanted to believe what I was saying. I feel for him but I can't make him change how he feels. Hopefully he can learn from me and move forward.

Anyway like I said, we're starting to settle in


Blessings

2 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

Oh to be 15 again. I don't know how many times I changed my mind about what I wanted to do.

Do we really ever know. I am 39 and still figuring life out myself. I envy those who seem to know from day one what they are to do. We all have our unique paths I guess.

Take care and I am sure since you are settled in that you all can get focused on the healthy part. You live in a real health nut area if I am correct? :o)

Blessings

Epi said...

There are allot of health nuts but allot of distractions also. This place must be the restaurant capital of the USA. But we are working on the health part.
I envy those also but you know what? I think it's more exciting when you don't know cause you get to try allot of different things


Blessings